Sunday, May 1, 2011

Black Bean and Cheese Quesadilla plus Guacamole

I almost feel silly posting this non-recipe. It's stupid-simple, but it's a staple in our house. The quesadilla is basically a Mexican grilled cheese sandwich. There are a million possible filling combinations and toppings. Here is my favorite version.


Black Bean and Cheese Quesadilla
olive oil to lubricate pan
2 large flour tortillas (substitute corn tortillas for gluten-free)

Filling:
1/2 a 16 oz can black beans, drained
4 oz grated cheese (I used Cabot's reduced-fat jalapeno cheddar. It's delicious.)
1/4 t oregano
red pepper flakes to taste

Mash beans lightly with a fork. Mix in remaining filling ingredients, and spread mixture onto half of each tortilla. Fold over tortillas into half moons. Heat quesadillas in oiled pan on medium heat for a few minutes on each side, until cheese is melted and tortilla is golden brown. Cut into triangles. Serves 2.

Serving suggestions:
Guacamole (1 avocado mashed with 1 T sour cream, 2 T salsa, 1 t lime juice, and salt to taste)
Sour cream
Salsa (I like Trader Joes Chipotle Garlic salsa)

2 comments:

  1. yummy! check my blog for homemade tortillas - http://eatsbroccoliandsquash.blogspot.com/2011/04/flour-tortillas.html

    I know what I'm having for dinner this weekend :) Also, EJ and I use plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Its way healthier and we don't feel bad about using a ton of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tortillas look delish! I've made corn tortillas (which are super easy), but never wheat. I'll have to give it a try. I love Greek yogurt with lots of things, but I've always been scared to try it with Mexican. We just use fat-free sour cream. The Stop and Shop brand is actually really creamy and good. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete