Brown Arroz con Pollo

In (belated) honor of Cinco de Mayo, here is my latest installment in my series of jambalaya-like recipes. As I've written before in my entries for brown rice jambalaya and biryani, it is crucial to get the right liquid-to-rice ratio, and the perfect amount of seasoning. After a few tweaks, this one is right where I want it: rich and chicken-y with a ton of flavor from my old favorite, Adobo seasoning.

2 lb chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces, marinated in 2 t Adobo seasoning
2 onions, chopped
1 lb bell peppers, chopped
7 cloves garlic, minced
1 T adobo seasoning
1 t cumin
1 t oregano
1 t coriander (optional)
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/2 t red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
3 T lemon juice
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups brown rice
1 lb frozen peas
1/2 cup sliced green olives (optional)
chopped cilantro (optional)

In a dutch oven, brown chicken, then set aside. Saute vegetables, then add remaining ingredients except frozen peas, olives, and cilantro and bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to very low. Cook for 1 hour, and taste to ensure rice is almost cooked through. Remove from heat and allow to steam, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in frozen peas (they'll defrost instantly), olives and cilantro, if using.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing healthy, delicious, and accessible recipes with multiple methods (Instant Pot, slow cooker, and stovetop). Have you used Instant Pot to make Brown Arroz Con Pollo - I would appreciate hearing your suggestions and results. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your question! I haven't yet tried this in my Instant Pot, but I have successfully converted my jambalaya, which is made in a similar way. It comes out even better in the IP! I suggest following the recipe above, sauteing the chicken and veggies in the Instant Pot, then secure lid and ensure it is set to "sealing." Set the IP to 20 minutes. Once it is finished cooking, allow it to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, then manually release the rest of the pressure. Stir in peas, olives, and cilantro, if using. Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts