Greek Quinoa Salad

I moved from Boston to Corvallis, Oregon a couple of days ago  and I'm living out of a couple of suitcases while my husband and his friend haul our furniture, car, and cats across the country. In the meantime, I have been faced with the challenge of feeding myself. All I have to cook with is a large saucepan, a chef's knife, a fork and a spoon. And I don't have a microwave yet. Sure, I could just eat out all the time, but I like the challenge of making something myself under these circumstances. Plus, my meals got pretty sloppy right before the move--lots of pizza and beer, so I wanted to make up for that with something healthy. It also had to be something that didn't require reheating in a microwave. I decided to take advantage of the bountiful summer veggies here in Oregon and make a Greek quinoa salad with heirloom cherry tomatoes. Look how colorful it is! It lasts in the fridge for days and can be eaten lukewarm or cold.

Greek Quinoa Salad
1.5 cups quinoa
2 cups water
1/2 t salt
1 pint (10 oz) cherry tomatoes chopped into bite sized pieces (I used heirloom cherry tomatoes)
1 medium cucumber, chopped into bite sized pieces
bell pepper, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 t salt and black pepper to taste
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped finely
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup Greek olives, sliced
2 T olive oil
1 t oregano
5-6 oz crumbled feta

Rinse quinoa, add water and 1/2 t salt, and bring to a boil in a saucepan. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. While the quinoa cooks, chop the veggies and toss with salt. Drain any excess liquid that weeps from the veggies. Allow quinoa to cool, then toss all ingredients together. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

Comments

Popular Posts