One-pot pizza pasta

This recipe was inspired by The Jerk. Just after college, I was living on my own for the first time with Beau and his brother Sean. The scene where Steve Martin's character enjoys "pizza-in-a-cup"  simultaneously amused and inspired us. We decided that pizza in a cup could be delicious. I decided to take all of our favorite pizza toppings: pepperoni or sausage, peppers, mushrooms, olives, onions, and combine them with tomato sauce, cheese, and pasta. And thus, our favorite post-college food was born: pizza pasta. It was easy to make and could feed two big hungry guys and me for days on the cheap. (Ridiculously, I would actually double the batch back then to ensure that we had a ton of food.) I make this as a one-pot meal, where the pasta cooks in its own sauce, either on the stovetop or the Instant Pot.

After years of pretending to be too grown up and sophisticated to make it, I finally made it again today, and although my husband and I are legit adults--I'm a professor, in fact--we had no shame in enjoying this again. It's totally flexible, just add your favorite pizza toppings (except maybe pineapple!).


Pizza Pasta
2 t olive oil
1 small onion, diced (optional)
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 bell pepper, large dice (optional)
1/2 lb Italian sausage or pepperoni (optional; I use Field Roast vegan Italian sausage)
1 T garlic, minced
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
2 t Italian seasoning or oregano
1 3/4 t salt
crushed red pepper and black pepper to taste
1 16 oz package pasta (I like bow tie)
2 2/3 cups water
8 oz Italian blend shredded cheese or a mix of mozzarella and Parmesan 
4-6 oz can sliced black olives (optional)

Instant Pot instructions
Saute garlic, onion, mushrooms, meat, and peppers until golden. Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese. Seal Instant Pot and set to 5 minutes on high pressure. Quick release when finished cooking. If the sauce is too liquid, let stand for a few minutes and the pasta will absorb the excess liquid. Stir in cheese and olives if using.

Stovetop instructions
In a large pot or dutch oven, saute garlic, onion, mushrooms, meat, and peppers until golden. Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese. Simmer gently, covered, for approximately 20 minutes, stirring frequently until pasta is al dente and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in cheese, olives, and spinach if using.

Comments

Popular Posts