Slow Cooked Cinnamon Apples

Make your house smell like hot apple pie ALL DAY. (And torture yourself because it won't be ready for hours.)

I'm getting increasingly slow cooker-obsessed lately. I especially love finding surprising things to use my Crockpot for. So today, I give you my first slow cooker dessert recipe: slow cooked cinnamon apples.

I have to admit, this was inspired by my recent trip to my hometown in Louisiana for Christmas, and a taste of the fried apples at Cracker Barrel. Contrary to what you might expect at a Cracker Barrel in Louisiana, these apples were not deep-fried; they were like apple pie filling. The real inspiration was that they used Golden Delicious apples and left the skins on! Turns out that apple variety has very tender skin. I HATE peeling things. See my cooking philosophy re: hatred for fussy recipes and my love for healthy cooking (most of an apple's fiber is in the skin).

When I got returned from Christmas, I whipped up this healthy Crockpot apple recipe that tastes like apple pie filling. It's so simple and versatile. It would make a lovely holiday side dish, healthy fruit snack, dessert, or breakfast. Serve warm or cold, plain, or with whipped cream, ice cream, or yogurt. You could even make a shortcut crumble by topping with granola!


I am such a fan of this simple recipe that I went out and bought this apple corer/slicer to make it even easier. That is really saying something, because I usually hate kitchen uni-taskers, but since I've been making this all the time, it's worth it! This brought the prep time down to five minutes.

Slow Cooked Cinnamon Apples
3 lbs (6-7) apples, cored and sliced (I like Golden Delicious because the skins are so tender you can leave them on. You can peel them if you must.)
1/4 cup Splenda or sweetener of choice
2 t cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 T lemon juice
1 t vanilla (optional)
shot of bourbon or brandy (optional; if you're feeling fancy)

Dump all ingredients in slow cooker; toss to distribute. Cook on high for 2 hours, or low for 6 hours, until apples are tender.

Comments

Popular Posts