Tortilla Soup (Instant Pot or stovetop, vegetarian option)

Tortilla soup and Mexican brown rice

This is the #1 most popular recipe on my site and in my home!

I have always loved the tortilla soup at Superior Grill in my hometown of Baton Rouge. It's brothy, rich with chicken flavor, and packed with vegetables. Plus, you get to stir cheese and Mexican rice into it!

I discovered how to make tortilla soup by accident, just when I needed it the most. My husband and I were visiting Baton Rouge for the holidays and staying at my mom's. We had too many drinks at Slinky's on New Years Eve, and woke up with terrible hangovers on New Years Day. We rolled out of bed around noon, and smelled what we could have sworn was Superior Grill's Tortilla Soup. But why did my mom's house smell like it? Turns out she was braising chicken breasts in diced fire roasted tomatoes for lunch. As we soothed our unhappy stomachs with the nourishing broth, I realized that this would be a viable base for a tortilla soup recipe rivaling Superior Grill's. A few days later, I worked out recipes for a healthy and flavorful tortilla soup and simple, flavorful Mexican brown rice.


I crave this in summer and winter alike. It is light and fresh enough for a summer soup, but it is hearty enough to warm you through the winter. I always try to have an emergency supply in the freezer in case someone wakes up with a hangover or a cold.
 

Hubby and I went pescatarian a couple of years ago, but there was no way we were giving up this soup. It's actually really easy to vegetarianize this recipe. I use Better than Bouillon "no chicken" flavor and Quorn meatless pieces.

Tortilla soup

2 t olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 lb carrot, (about 5) chopped into bite-sized pieces
6 ribs celery, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 large bell pepper, any color, diced
1 lb zucchini and/or yellow squash (about 3) chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 T minced garlic
1 1/2 t dried oregano leaves (Mexican if possible)
1 t Goya Adobo seasoning or salt to taste
2 15 oz cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
6 cups water or broth (I do 6 cups water and 1 T plus 2 t Better Than Bouillon chicken or "no chicken" broth
black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste 
1 1/2 lbs raw chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces, or 12 oz Quorn meatless pieces

Garnish (all are optional):
Mexican brown rice 
lemon juice (it's a great flavor enhancer. I swear it makes the soup taste more "chickeny")
low fat cheddar cheese, grated

tortilla chips (duh!)

Instant Pot version

Sauté vegetables in oil until softened. Add remaining ingredients (except garnish). Seal Instant Pot and set to high pressure for 2 minutes. When finished cooking, quick release. Serve with desired garnishes.

Stovetop version

In a dutch oven or stockpot, sauté vegetables in oil until softened. Add remaining ingredients except protein and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the raw chicken or Quorn meatless pieces. Cover and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, until veggies have softened. Serve with desired garnishes

Comments

  1. Wow! You put this online so long ago and I just discovered it! We're from Baton Rouge and love this soup. Can't wait to make it! Have you ever frozen it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you discovered it! It is still a staple in our household! It freezes great, and in fact, we always have some stored away in the freezer in case anyone gets a cold and needs it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts