Herb-Crusted Salmon

I love salmon. It is the king of the fishes. Flaky white fish like cod and tilapia bore the hell out of me. Give me a fish that has flavor and tastes rich and fatty. Salmon is also my favorite sushi fish. So when I cook it at home, I keep it quite rare in the middle. This dish looks impressive as hell but is really simple and quick. I coat a thick, skin-on salmon fillet in herbs and spices and then sear it quickly, resulting in a flavorful, browned crust, crispy skin, and a luxuriously buttery, rare center.


Herb-Crusted Salmon served with Savory Zucchini Bread

Herb-Crusted Salmon
.75 lb salmon fillets (to serve 2 people)
1 T mustard (any kind will do. I like spicy brown or dijon)
your favorite herbs or seasonings (I like Trader Joe's lemon pepper seasoning, Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning, herbes de Provence, or Italian seasoning)
black pepper and salt to taste
cooking spray or olive oil

Rub the mustard on both sides of the salmon. Sprinkle seasonings liberally on both sides. Don't worry about putting too much spice. It's hard to overdo. The salmon can handle it. Grease a nonstick pan and heat pan to med-high heat. Place in pan skin side down, and cook for 3 minutes. Flip so that the skin side is facing up, and cook for 3 minutes. Serve with lemon.

Comments

Popular Posts