White Bean Hummus

I have not been able to bring myself to buy tahini since the last time I moved and cleaned out my fridge. Tahini is the oily sesame paste used in hummus to give it that creamy, luxurious texture. But it's always been such a unitasker in my kitchen. Believe me, I have made some delicious hummus with tahini in my day. But since I haven't had it around lately, I thought I would try something different. I could have just blended some chickpeas and garlic with olive oil instead of tahini, and I'm sure it would have been tasty, but I would have felt like it was missing something. I wanted to make something new. Not a makeshift hummus, but something that was good in its own right. 

This white bean hummus has rich Mediterranean flavors of olive oil, rosemary, oregano, and thyme. White beans are starchier than chickpeas, so they make a creamier puree. I love this as a dip for Triscuits, bread, or crudites, or as a spread on sandwiches or wraps, or as sauce for meat.

White Bean Hummus
2 15 oz cans white beans (such as cannelini or navy beans)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 T extra virgin olive oil
4 T lemon juice
1/4 t each dried rosemary, thyme, and oregano
salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste

Blend together with a food processor or immersion blender. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.

Comments

Popular Posts