Cornbread/Muffins and Pancakes

I got this delicious corn muffin recipe from my bestie Glutenless Goddess. Most cornbread/muffin recipes call for some combination of wheat flour and corn meal. I didn't know that you could make cornbread without flour. This one only contains corn, which means my gluten-free friend can eat it. It also means it appeals to my love for simple, healthy recipes with only a few ingredients. I made a few tiny tweaks, like increasing the amount of baking powder to cut out the baking soda. (Yes, you can do that, and it means you need one fewer ingredient!). I also experimented with making this into cornbread and corn pancakes, so I've added those tips below.

This would also make a delicious savory cornbread with jalapenos and cheese to serve with chili (you would just leave out most of the sweetener and add a bit of water or milk to make the batter the right texture.

Cornbread or Muffins

1 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup Greek, plain, or vanilla yogurt (can be low fat or fat free)
1/4 t salt
1/3-1/2 cup maple syrup, honey, sugar, or Splenda (if using sugar or Splenda, you might need to add a bit of water to the batter. You want a cake batter consistency.)
1 egg

*Update: you can stir in a cup of fruit, such as fresh or frozen blueberries.

Stir everything together. Preheat oven to 350. Pour into a 8 or 9 inch baking pan or muffin tin. Bake for approximately 16 minutes.

Corn Pancakes
To the recipe above, add a few tablespoons of milk, enough to create a thick pancake batter-like consistency. Then proceed like you're making pancakes--drop spoonfuls onto a greased skillet on medium heat, and flip. Serve with syrup.

Comments

  1. it is amazing, I added some dried cranberries to add a bit of extra flavor and color, I recommend it 100 percent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it, Martha! Cranberries are a great idea! You've inspired me to try adding blueberries next time for blueberry cornbread!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts