Triple Corn Spoonbread

Inspired by the cornbread recipe in my previous post, I decided to try to make a healthy version of recipe that my mother used to make for me as a child, a very moist corn fritter casserole or spoonbread made with Jiffy mix, creamed corn, corn niblets, and a stick of butter. Since Jiffy contains gluten and lard (yuck!), I decided to use the from-scratch healthy cornbread recipe from the previous post as a substitute. To cut out the butter, I added Greek yogurt instead, making this a lowfat and protein-packed dish. If you don't feel like it, and aren't gluten-intolerant, you can use a box of Jiffy instead.
This spoonbread is comforting and warm, with a texture somewhere between cornbread and custard. It is a versatile dish that I will happily eat any time of day. It makes a great side dish with chili. I especially like it for breakfast with syrup. For a savory, spicy spoonbread, you could leave out the sweetener and add in a 4 oz. can of diced chiles. 

Triple Corn Spoonbread
1 1/2 cup finely ground corn meal
1 T baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/3 cup sugar or splenda
(or use a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix instead of the above ingredients)

1/3 cup regular or Greek yogurt (I use nonfat)
15 oz can creamed corn
15 oz can corn kernels, drained
1 egg

Prehead oven to 375. Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Cook for 35-45 minutes, until bread is set, but still moist and custardy.

Comments

Popular Posts