Cheeseburger Cauliflower Helper

In the wake of my Baked Fake-Ziti and my Cauliflower Cheese, I've been playing around with the general theme of turning pasta-based casseroles into low-carb, veggie filled dishes using cauliflower in place of noodles. Here is my latest creation, inspired by the low-brow but very nostalgic Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Macaroni. This is supremely comforting food, and I bet it would go over well with kids.

Cheeseburger cauliflower casserole
approximately 40 oz cauliflower florets (I use frozen)
1/2 t salt
1 onion, diced
1 lb lean ground beef
1 T minced garlic
30 oz canned diced tomatoes (I like to use the kind with green chilies)
1 T Worchestershire sauce
black pepper to taste
1/2 seasoning salt (I like Tony Chachere's)
1/2 t smoked paprika (optional)
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
6 ounces shredded low-fat cheddar, a few handfuls reserved for topping

Salt the cauliflower and cook until al dente. You can microwave it for about 10 minutes or do what I like to do, which is roast it in the oven at 450 for 30ish minutes while I'm preparing the rest of the ingredients. If any liquid pools in the bottom of the pan after cooking, drain it to prevent it from watering down the sauce. (This only happens to me if I microwave it.)

Saute onion in skillet. When softened, add ground meat and garlic and cook until meat is no longer pink.

Combine all ingredients (except reserved cheese) in bowl. Transfer into a 9 x 13 baking dish (or equivalent) and top with reserved cheese. Lower oven temp to 375 degrees and bake, uncovered for 30 minutes or until the casserole is bubbling, cauliflower is tender, and the cheese is completely melted. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts