Berry-kefir smoothie with secret veggies

Smoothie in a glass with blueberry garnish
In honor of New Year's resolution season, I'm sharing the smoothie recipe I have nearly every single morning. Obviously, the beauty of smoothies is that they are infinitely customizable, so I don't expect readers to follow this recipe exactly. Instead, I'm hoping I can provide you with a few tips and strategies you haven't thought of before to help you construct YOUR perfect smoothie recipe. 

Make smoothies in bulk. I fill a big 8-cup blender carafe with 4 servings worth of ingredients. I put the entire carafe with leftovers into the fridge. The next time I want a smoothie, I pop the carafe back on the blender, add a couple of ice cubes, and blend for a few seconds to mix it back up.

Make smoothie kits. I pre-pack freezer bags full of smoothie ingredients, so all I have to do is add kefir or yogurt and blend. 

Add secret veggies. I love this smoothie because each serving has approximately a serving of fruit and a serving of vegetables. I sometimes struggle with eating enough fruits and veggies throughout the day, so at least I know that I've started my day with a couple. Spinach is a common smoothie add in, but people often don't think to add carrots, which are an ideal way to add natural sweetness. Berries are an excellent source of vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber, and I use enough of them that they hide the color and flavor of veggies.

Capitalize on frozen produce. Adding frozen rather than fresh ingredients gives you a colder, thicker smoothie. Frozen fruits and veggies are usually picked at the peak of freshness, meaning they may be MORE nutrient-rich than fresh, out of season ones. They are also more cost-effective and easier to store. Frozen berries are a natural, but I also love to use frozen spinach and carrots.

A kitchen scale will save your dishes. Smoothies are not a meal that requires precise measurement. However, if you happen to have a kitchen scale, it will allow you to dump your ingredients directly into the carafe without using a measuring cup. Just put your carafe directly on the scale and zero out your scale every time you add an ingredient.

Plain kefir is a probiotic and protein staple. I used to put yogurt in my smoothies (and that's a fine substitution), but then I learned that kefir is an even more powerful source of probiotics. It tastes the same as yogurt in a smoothie and adds lots of protein. It also keeps your smoothie creamy and emulsified.

Flax or chia seeds boost fiber, protein, and healthy fats. I love their nutty flavor and they keep me full until lunch time! Pro tip: flax is dirt cheap and waaay more affordable than chia, and it packs even better health benefits.


Berry-kefir smoothie with secret veggies
32 oz bottle plain kefir or 3 cups yogurt
1 lb frozen mixed berries (1 like strawberries and blueberries because they don't have obnoxious seeds
8 oz sliced carrots (I like frozen) and/or spinach
55 grams (1/2 cup) ground flax or chia seeds
Stevia or Splenda to taste (I like 1/4 cup Splenda)
add enough water on top of other ingredients to fill carafe to 8 cups

Blend until smooth. Makes 4 16 oz servings.

Approximate nutritional information: 266 calories, 8 grams fat, 30 net carbs, 9 grams fiber, 16 grams protein.

Comments

Popular Posts