Simple broccoli cheese soup


This thick, broccoli-filled soup is based on my mom's recipe. I've simplified it by omitting a roux and simply blending the broccoli as a thickener. Yes, this unapologetically contains Velveeta, because that's how my mother made it. Velveeta has emulsifiers in it, allowing the cheese to melt evenly without separating, even without a roux. My husband just tried it and declared it to be "Jason's Deli good." 

Simple Broccoli Cheese Soup
nonstick spray or 1 t oil
1 small or 1/2 medium onion, diced
1 T minced garlic
2 lbs broccoli (I used frozen florets)
3 cups milk of choice (I use skim)
1/4 t Tony Chachere's or other seasoned salt
black and red pepper to taste
1 lb Velveeta, diced (if you want to get fancy, you can do 2/3 Velveeta and 1/3 shredded cheddar)

In a dutch oven, sauté onion and garlic in oil for a couple of minutes. Add remaining ingredients except cheese, cover and simmer until broccoli is very tender, about 10 minutes. Add cheese and blend to desired consistency. Serves about 6. Freezes well.

Comments

Popular Posts