Sunday, February 19, 2017

Simple broccoli cheese soup

This thick, broccoli-filled soup is based on my mom's recipe. I've simplified and it and it more low-carb friendly by omitting a roux and simply blending the broccoli as a thickener. My husband just tried it and declared it to be "Jason's Deli good."

Yes, this unapologetically contains Velveeta, because that's how my mother made it. I haven't tried using another cheese, but you are welcome to try and report back in the comments. I suspect that it might not result in as smooth and creamy a texture.

Simple Broccoli Cheese Soup
1 small or 1/2 medium onion, diced
1 T minced garlic
2 lbs broccoli (I used frozen florets)
3 cups milk of choice (I use skim)
1 cup water, more or less depending on how thick you like it
1/2 t Tony Chachere's or other seasoned salt
black and red pepper to taste
3/4 lb Velveeta, diced

Saute onion and garlic for a couple of minutes. Add remaining ingredients except cheese, cover and simmer until broccoli is very tender, about 10 minutes. Add cheese and blend to desired consistency. Serves about 6. Freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment