Three-Ingredient Apple Yogurt Cake

I'm really more of a cook than a baker, but I like to have a few "cheater" dessert recipes up my sleeve in case I am asked to bring one to a potluck or something. This Apple Yogurt Cake is the next installment in my series of few-ingredient recipes, like my Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Bread, Three-Ingredient Whoopie Pies, Magical Four-Ingredient Cookies, and Super-Easy Low-Carb Fudge. I have no pretenses about these recipes. Some of them are just one step better than picking up a premade dessert at the grocery store. And I'm ok with that.

Three Ingredient Apple Yogurt Cake: the name is basically the ingredient list. Some might argue that a product like "cake mix" does not count one ingredient, but rather a series of ingredients. To that I say, lighten up! It's a slippery slope. Most people would accept "cheese" as a single recipe ingredient, but in fact, it contains several ingredients. Basically, cake mix is a single item I have to buy, and I'm calling it a single ingredient!

This dessert is somewhere between apple pie and cake, with a subtle creaminess and tang from the yogurt. The cake is very low fat if you use low-fat or fat-free yogurt. It's a very moist cake with lots of fresh apple flavor and texture. It is perfect on its own or paired with ice cream.

Three-Ingredient Apple Yogurt Cake
1 cup plain yogurt of choice (I like Greek lowfat)
1/2 cup water
1 box cake mix (I like yellow cake mix, but spice or carrot cake mix would also be good)
3 apples of choice, peeled and chopped into 3/4 inch chunks
2 t cinnamon (optional, best if used with yellow cake mix, spice or carrot would not need it)

With a mixer or by hand, beat cake mix, yogurt, water, and cinnamon, if using. Fold in apples. Bake according to cake mix instructions. You might need to add another 5-10 minutes onto baking time.

Comments

Popular Posts