Instant Pot Minestrone with Vegan Sausage

Minestrone soup with vegan sausage

I have, very late in the game, discovered the wonders of minestrone as a vegetarian staple. The reason it took me so long is that I was generally unimpressed by most of the minestrones I have had. You know, the bland kind with mushy veggies and pasta in a one-note tomato broth. This version starts with vegan Italian sausage. I highly recommend Field Roast for this. It tastes like a very flavorful version of the real thing. I use plenty of herbs and broth, not water, to ensure a flavorful soup. The backbone of a good minestrone is the bean cooking liquid, but I like the convenience of using canned beans. I found that I can replicate this by not draining the canned beans, resulting in a thicker, richer soup. Fresh spinach wilted in at the very last minute, plus a splash of lemon brighten up this hearty meal.

Instant Pot Minestrone with Vegan Sausage
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided (use half to saute veggies and add the other half in as a finishing oil)
1/2 lb vegan Italian sausage (I like Field Roast), crumbled
1 medium onion diced
1 T minced garlic
3 carrots, diced
4 celery stalks, diced
3 medium zucchini, cut into bite-size pieces
red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste
1 T minced fresh rosemary leaves or 1 t dried
1 t smoked paprika (optional)
1/2 t Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
15 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
2 15 oz cans beans, undrained, partially mashed (I like a mix of garbanzo and cannellini)
1 quart broth of choice (I use a quart of water and 1 1/2 T Better Than Boullion "no chicken" or roasted garlic flavor)

To finish:
6 oz fresh baby spinach
1.5T lemon juice (optional)
grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)

Instant Pot instructions:
Saute sausage, onion, garlic, celery, and zucchini until a bit caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except those listed under "to finish." Set Instant Pot to high pressure for two minutes, then open vent for a quick release when finished. Stir in finishing ingredients and serve.

Stovetop instructions:
Saute sausage, onion, garlic, celery, and zucchini over medium-high heat until a bit caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except those listed under "to finish." Simmer for 20 minutes, or until veggies reach your preference for tenderness. Stir in finishing ingredients and serve.

Comments

  1. I really appreciate this blog! Your recipes are always delicious and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts