Easy oven hash browns


Loaded hash browns are my favorite lazy weekend breakfast. I like my potatoes diced into little cubes, with all four surfaces seasoned and browned (AKA home fries). The problem is, it is hard to get them evenly browned on the stovetop without sticking and burning. I end up having to babysit the pan, stirring and scraping almost constantly. That is, until I figured out that baking them in the oven solves all my problems. The heat is applied more evenly in the oven, meaning they cook faster, better, and with less sticking. The oven allows it to be hands-off cooking. I can get on with my morning and make tea and eggs to go with the hash browns. This recipe is really more about the technique than the specific seasonings and add ins. I've included my favorite version below, but feel free to add your favorite flavors: fake or real bacon or sausage, jalapenos, green onions, olives, etc.

Serves 2

Easy oven loaded hash browns
2 T butter or olive oil
2 medium-large russet potatoes, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 t minced garlic
4 oz mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1/2 t Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning or other seasoned salt
black pepper to taste
smoked paprika (optional)
1/2 bell pepper, diced (optional)
1 tomato, diced (optional)
fresh baby spinach (optional)
a few handfuls of shredded cheese to cover (I like cheddar, jack, and swiss)

Preheat oven to 450. Place a large oven-safe skillet (cast iron excels here) in the preheating oven to warm. Once oven is preheated, remove skillet, add butter or oil, and stir together onion, garlic, seasoning, mushrooms and bell peppers if using. Spread out ingredients into a single layer to allow for browning on all sides. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, stirring and scraping down any delicious stuck-on bits halfway through. Once potatoes are cooked through and browned, turn off oven and stir in tomato and spinach if using. Top with cheese and return pan to oven for about 3 minutes to allow the carry over heat to melt the cheese.

Comments

Popular Posts