Instant Pot chipotle refried beans

Pinto beans in a wooden spoon
I can't believe I've never made refried beans in the Instant Pot until now! I've long extolled the virtues of the IP for cooking beans. This is a simple, set-it-and-forget-it recipe. I find this cooking time results in the perfect creamy texture. Some of the beans are falling apart, while a few maintain their texture. I make a batch and split it into freezer portions so I have refried beans on hand whenever I want fajitas, burritos, nachos, or taco mess

Instant Pot chipotle refried beans
3 T butter or oil
1 large onion, diced
1 heaping T minced garlic
2 t Adobo seasoning or salt to taste
1 T Better than Bouillon, any flavor
2 T chipotle in adobe
1 t oregano, Mexican if possible
1 1/2 t chili powder or cumin
1 t liquid smoke
1 lb pinto beans, soaked for 8 hours or overnight (you don't have to soak beans for the IP, but I find it results in a creamier texture)
3 cups water

Sauté onions in butter until slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 more seconds. Add remaining ingredients, and stir. Set Instant Pot to Beans/Chili 45 minutes. When cooking is complete, quick release. Adjust to your taste by mashing beans against the side of the pot if you want it smoother, adding water to thin, or letting stand to thicken.

Comments

Popular Posts