Instant Pot shrimp fried brown rice

Shrimp fried rice
I love a simple shrimp fried rice as a relatively healthy one-pot pescatarian meal. Sometimes I make it in the oven, but other times I only want to dirty one pan and I don't want to heat up the house. That's where this Instant Pot fried rice comes in. 

A long-held tenant of fried rice is that cold, leftover rice is best. Its firmness and dryness means it can withstand stir frying and crisp up without turning to mush. However, one of my favorite food writers, J. Kenji López-Alt, did some testing and found that freshly cooked rice works just fine as long as you spread it out to cool for a few minutes. In my own experience, I find that brown rice works well in this application, because it's firmer and already has a nutty texture. (But see my note below if you want to use white rice). 

I've written before about how the Instant Pot is IMHO, the best way to make rice. So, if I don't already have leftover rice on hand, I'm gonna make it in the Instant Pot. After it's cooked, I spread the rice out on a plate to cool, and that gives me just enough time to stir fry the rest of the ingredients right in the Instant Pot on saute mode. By the time I'm ready to add the rice back as the final step, it has cooled perfectly. 

I have a few extra tricks up my sleeve that are totally optional. Since I'm cooking the rice for this dish, why not build in some flavor from the start? So I cook it in Better than Bouillon/broth. I love the extra-rich umami that mushrooms bring to the table, so I add those as well. Finally, I am a huge chili crisp fan and am always looking for excuses to add it to dishes. IMHO, this is the perfect application. The crispy chilis compliment the stir fry crunch and add more umami and spice, making it the perfect garnish. 

Instant Pot shrimp fried brown rice
2 cups uncooked brown rice, rinsed (see note)
2 cups water
2 t Better than Bouillon, vegetable or "no chicken" flavor, optional
1 T vegetable oil
1 small onion
6-8 oz mushrooms, optional
2 t ginger and/or garlic paste
5. lb shrimp (you can leave this out if you'd like veggie fried rice) 
2 eggs, lightly beaten with a splash of soy sauce
2 t sesame oil
1 lb frozen peas and carrots, thawed
2 T soy sauce
1 T white vinegar

Garnish
sliced green onions
chili crisp

Cook brown rice in water and Better than Bouillon, if using, for 20 minutes on high pressure. Natural pressure release for 10 minutes. Pour rice onto a large plate and spread out to cool a bit. This will help it hold together while it's fried.

Wipe out Instant Pot. Saute onion and mushroom, if using, in vegetable oil. Once onions are translucent, add shrimp and ginger/garlic. Saute until cooked through. Push mixture to the side and scramble eggs in the middle of the pan. Remove mixture and set aside. 

Add 2 t sesame oil to the pan and return rice, toasting it and stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except garnish and return shrimp and veggie mixture to pan. Continue to cook on saute mode for a few minutes until (re)warmed through. Garnish with green onions and chili crisp. Serves 5.


*Note: if you'd prefer white rice, that's just fine! Use the same amount of rice and water called for in the recipe and cook in the Instant Pot on high pressure for 4 minutes. Natural pressure release for 10.

Comments

Popular Posts