Sichuan eggplant with tofu

Sichuan eggplant with tofu served with rice

This recipe is an adaptation of my favorite thing to order at a Sichuan restaurant, an eggplant dish usually made with ground pork. Since I am pescatarian, I use tofu instead, either slicing it thinly or tearing it up to resemble ground pork. This recipe yields tender eggplant and tofu with a glossy, sweet, spicy, and funky sauce.

The key to this recipe is my new obsession, spicy doubanjiang, or Sichuan spicy bean paste. In some ways, it's a Sichuan parallel to my beloved Korean gochujang. You could substitute this, although gochujang is more sweet. This chili bean paste is packed with flavor. It's fermented, funky, umami, and medium-spicy. I also use it in my silken tofu with spicy sauce. I use the Lee Kum Kee brand, which I can find in my local Asian store or on Amazon. I plan to always have it in my refrigerator.

Ingredients
1 T neutral oil
1-1.5 lbs eggplants, preferably asian eggplants, cut into batons 3/4 inch thick and 2 inches long1 box firm tofu, drained, blotted and sliced or torn

Sauce
1/2 cup water
1 T cornstarch
2-3 T spicy doubanjiang or gochujang, depending on how spicy you like it
1 T soy sauce
1 T rice wine vinegar
1 T black vinegar (if you don't have this, substitute with more rice wine vinegar)
2 t sugar
2 t sesame oil
2 t garlic, minced
2 t ginger, minced

Garnish (optional)
green onions
chili crisp

Fry the eggplant in oil in a wok or large cast iron skillet about 5-7 minutes, turning once during cooking. Eggplant should be a bit golden, but it's ok if it's not cooked all the way through.

Remove eggplant and set aside. Add tofu and let cook on medium heat on one side for two minutes. Return eggplant to the pan. Pour over sauce, stir gently, and bring to a simmer. Simmer until eggplant is cooked through, 1-3 minutes. Serves 4 with rice.

Comments

Popular Posts