Air fryer salmon

Air-fried salmon with everything bagel seasoning
Everything bagel air fryer salmon served with Iranian spinach

Crispy-skinned salmon is one of my favorite pescatarian meals. I've written before about my pan-seared version. Recently, I tried making it in the air fryer, and I am a convert! The salmon cooks more evenly and the skin is crispier, all while being completely hands-off. While it cooks, I can make an equally quick and easy side. This time it was this Iranian spinach and yogurt dip

I always coat my salmon fillets with a little mustard before seasoning. It adds a subtle acidic tang that stands up to the robust flavor of salmon, and it provides the perfect canvas for crusting with spices. My favorite spice combinations are Herbes de Provence, Italian seasoning, Tony Chacheres Cajun seasoning, or, as pictured here, Everything Bagel seasoning. 

Everything bagel seasoning works so well with the salmon in the air fryer. I've used this combo in a skillet before and while the sesame and poppy seeds got a nice toast on them, they created a slight barrier between the salmon skin and the pan, meaning that the skin itself did not make enough contact with the pan to get crispy. The air fryer effortlessly crisped up both the layer of seeds and the skin. 

How to make air fryer salmon
2 skin on salmon fillets, about .75 to 1 pound total
2 t Dijon mustard
~ 2 T seasoning of choice (I like Herbes de Provence, Italian seasoning, Tony Chachere's, everything bagel seasoning, or Montreal Steak seasoning
black pepper to taste
salt, if needed

Dry salmon with a paper towel, then rub 1 t Dijon mustard on all sides of each salmon fillet. Sprinkle a hefty coating of your seasoning of choice and black pepper. Add a hefty sprinkle of salt if your seasoning mix does not already contain it.

On a greased baking sheet, place salmon skin side up. Place in air fyer at 400 degrees. For medium rare salmon, cook 6 minutes. Cook longer if your salmon is very thick or if you like it more well done. Serve with lemon. 

Comments

Popular Posts