Spinach borani (Iranian spinach dip)

Iranian spinach dip with air fryer salmon

I was looking through my saved recipes in Google Keep for ideas and found this New York Times recipe saved no less than three separate times. Clearly, it was time for me to get around to making it. When I made air fryer salmon with everything bagel seasoning, I was craving a simple veggie side. Now was the time! 

This is a riff on an Iranian spinach and yogurt dip, which is usually served cold. I simplified the recipe a bit (using frozen spinach) and amped up the garlic like usual. It is a perfectly creamy, tangy, allium-y spinach dish. I served it warm as a side that night, had some as a cold dip with pita the next day, and again as a warm dish with Triscuits at a party later that week. This stuff is a winner: versatile and a crowd-pleaser! 

Iranian spinach dip
1 lb thawed frozen chopped spinach, drained
1 T olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced (I like 3)
1 t salt
1/2 t ground turmeric
black pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
1 heaping cup plain Greek yogurt
1 t lemon

Microwave frozen spinach until warm. Meanwhile, sauté onion in olive oil until browned. Add garlic, salt, turmeric, and pepper, and sauté for 30 more seconds. Transfer everything in the skillet into a bowl with the spinach and remaining ingredients and combine. Serve warm or cold, as a side dish or a dip. 

Comments

Popular Posts